There may come a point when you realize that one or both of your parents would be better off residing in a nursing home. It’s a difficult decision to make, but along with the help of your parents and their doctor, you can decide what to do next.
As you plan for nursing home care, you can help your parents answer a variety of questions. Here are some of the most important:
- Which nursing home facility is best? You’re likely to have many options in your local area, so it’s important to learn more about each one. Focus on details such as location, the cleanliness of the facility, and the types of accommodations that are available. It never hurts to take a tour of each facility before making a decision. In fact, it’s recommended.
- What’s the best way to pay for nursing home care? There are many options to consider, such as Medicaid, personal assets, and long-term care insurance. Make this decision based on your parents’ financial circumstances, as well as the long-term care plan that they have in place.
- What are the benefits of nursing home living? Even if they know it’s for the best, there’s a good chance your parent or parents are concerned about making this move. And for that reason, you should discuss the benefits with them. Help them understand the type of care they’ll receive, the activities that are available, and how they can connect with others who reside there.
If your parents have questions about moving into a nursing home, do your best to answer them. It’s the information you provide that’ll help them get on board with the idea, should the time come.
If you or your parents have questions about nursing home care and/or long-term care planning, contact us for more information and professional guidance.
- Living in a Digital World and the Importance of Planning for Cryptocurrency - January 25, 2022
- Protecting Your Children from Our Litigious Society - January 20, 2022
- The Passing of a Loved One - January 19, 2022