In today’s day and age, more people than ever before like to do things on their own. And for this reason, DIY estate planning has seen an uptick in activity over the past few years.
While it may be something you’re considering, you should think twice before you go down this path. There are many problems lurking, any of which could slow you down and cause you trouble now and/or in the future.
Here are some of the reasons why DIY estate planning is a bad idea:
- You don’t understand estate planning laws: You can’t do whatever you want when it comes to estate planning. There are both state and federal laws to take into consideration. Neglecting to do so puts you at risk of making a serious mistake, any of which could invalidate your estate plan.
- No one to answer your questions: When you consult with an estate planning attorney, you always have someone on your side to answer your questions and address your concerns. But with DIY estate planning, it’s you and you alone. Sure, you can search online for guidance, but you never know if the information you find is accurate.
- Uncertainty in regards to what you need: Is it best to create a will? What about a trust? Do you need a living will? You don’t want to guess as to what types of estate planning documents you should create. You need to know for sure.
These are just a handful of the potential problems associated with DIY estate planning. If you don’t take these into consideration, you could find yourself heading down the wrong path.
Before you create your own estate plan, contact us to learn more about the benefits of working with a professional. We’re confident that you’ll agree that we can help you create the perfect estate plan.
- Protecting Your Children from Our Litigious Society - January 20, 2022
- The Passing of a Loved One - January 19, 2022
- It Can Be Scary to Die Without an Estate Plan…the HORRORS of Intestacy - January 18, 2022